Wow, I am truly flattered and pleased to announce that I was nominated for a Liebster Award!
Thanks so much to Hammy Reviews for nominating me!
Here are the rules for the award as they have been passed on to me:
- Acknowledge the blog that nominated you and display the award.
- Answer 11 questions that the blogger gives you.
- Give 11 random facts about yourself.
- Nominate 5-11 blogs you think are deserving of the award that have less than 200 followers.
- Let the blogs know you have nominated them.
- Give them 11 questions to answer
Here are my answers to Hammy Reviews’ great questions:
1. Favourite film?
Little Miss Sunshine is definitely one of them. I’m a big family guy, and a sappy one to boot, so the whole rag-tag imperfect family portrait thing so perfectly portrayed here definitely speaks to me. Lots of laughs and tears and cheers, and a lot of all three in that final rebellious, coming-together dance number. All the characters are just so great (with such genuine turns from the cast) and it’s so well-written. So many good scenes here.
O Brother, Where Art Thou? would be the other film I’d mention here. The cozy old-timey soundtrack and dirty thirties setting, the hilarious up and down chain-gang-escapee escapades, the delicious dialogue, a quick-talking George Clooney, the hints of devilish darkness… it’s all just so wonderful. Great film I know I’ll never get sick of.
2. Favourite director?
Although I’ve definitely been a fan of pretty much everything I’ve seen of the Coen Brothers, including O Brother…, I’d hesitate to list them here just because I have yet to check out a good chunk of a few of their earlier films. So I’ll have to say Wes Anderson. He’s got a style, and I am unabashedly a huge fan. It’s just so damn delicious. The detailed sets, the symmetrical cinematography, the tracking shots, the quirkiness, the deadpan humour, the splashes of colour, the vibrant titles, the marvelous music… I could go on and on. I just love it all. He wouldn’t even have to have a story, I’d watch his films just for that gorgeous aesthetic he always manages to pull off.
3. Favourite video game?
I’ve never been a gamer, actually. At least with video games-we never had a game system growing up, I only recently salvaged a PS2 from a thrift store for $10 so I could play ATV Off-road Fury II, a game my brother and I used to play at our cousin’s place back in the day. It was a little underwhelming this time around.
I played a bunch of NHL 2000/2001 on PC back in the day though. Guess I’ll have to go with that.
4. Favourite book?
Huge Harry Potter fan, so I gotta get that out there. If I can’t include the whole series as my answer, I’d have to go with the epic final installment. The whole series just seemed to get better and better with each book.
5. It’s takeaway night: fish and chips or pizza?
Although I don’t mind me some deep-fried batter-covered fish in spite of my general distaste for all things that come from the sea, I’ll definitely have to go with pizza on this one.
6. Do you buy or download (illegally or not!) films/TV shows?
I don’t download at all, although I do occasionally rip library DVDs onto my computer. As for buying, I’m all about dem VHS tapes. Such a cheap way to watch/own all the best movies made before the early 2000s! Sure, it’s not as good quality a picture, but it really isn’t terrible, and it’s not like I’m watching Gravity or anything.
7. Do you consider yourself a geek?
Proudly so! My insane love of categorization and organization is a good example of this. When I was a kid, I used to hole myself up in my bedroom downstairs, listen to the Canucks game on the radio (BC boy here) and take all of my hockey cards (I used to collect a lot) out of my binder and reorganize them according to a different category–brand, player name, year, team, etc. After I had them organized one way for a few weeks, I’d reorganize them a different way again. I had a blast, and I would still totally do that today if I still collected. Just look at my menu page on my blog- “By Title”, “By Year”, “By Rating”… my favourite part of posting a new movie review is adding a link to it on its appropriate page under each category. If you ever want me to organize or compile any sort of data of yours or anything, I’M YOUR MAN.
8. Buy, Rent, Chuck: Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3
Toy Story: Buy! Which I’ve already done. On VHS of course. It’s a great flick. Toy Story 2: Buy again. Haven’t seen it in a little while, but I remember really liking it. Toy Story 3: Haven’t seen it yet! Eep! But I’ve heard nothing but good things, so I’ll be keeping an eye out for it.
9. Where do you see yourself in five years?
Still happily married and the very proud parent of a 5 and a quarter year old daughter (and maybe another one)! Hopefully working a job that I love (still in the process of figuring that one out..)
10. What’s your biggest achievement in life, thus far?
Becoming (and being) a dad. The first two days or so in the hospital I was absolutely terrified and I was having some real anxiety about having to take care of this fragile little thing, but I soon got the hang of it and I’m really proud of myself for how comfortable I feel in this position and how much I really love it. My biggest achievement, for sure!
On a side note, because this is a movie blog, I feel like mentioning that my daughters’ first three movies were, in order, Planet of the Apes (the original), The Searchers, and The Shining, all watched by me on my laptop as I rocked her to sleep in the hospital. I’m excited to tell her when she gets older. 🙂
11. Shower or bath?
And here are 11 random facts about me:
- I’ve been a happy husband for almost 3 and a half years now, and a delighted dad for a little over three months
- The first movie I can remember seeing in the theater was How The Grinch Stole Christmas with Jim Carrey
- Our family car is a 2003 Ford Focus station wagon (and yes, we’ve slept in the back at an interstate rest stop, but that was pre-baby)
- I’ve always enjoyed playing and watching most sports
- I can’t cook (I do the dishes instead)
- I enjoy dabbling in music and film making
- I haven’t been clean-shaven since Halloween 2010 when I shaved for the purposes of my costume (I had found out that my roommate was dressing up as me, so I had to return the favour)
- My favourite musical artist/band is Bruce Cockburn
- My brother and I as kids used to have “handstand” battles in our shared bedroom, where we’d take turns doing a handstand and rating each other on our form and longevity
- I’ve only broken one bone, the pinky-side one in the palm of my hand, from a mountain-bike crash
- I’m a Bible college BA graduate
And here are my nominations for the Liebster Award:
And my 11 questions:
- Top 3 films:
- Top 3 books:
- Top 3 singers/artists/bands:
- Top 3 (your choice):
- What is your favourite beverage?
- What was your most memorable travel experience?
- What is your favourite board game?
- You are feeling rested, well-nourished, and at peace. You have one hour of free time, but it must be spent by yourself. What do you do with it?
- Who is your favourite actor or actress?
- Big city or open country?
- What is your favourite part of nature?